Posted by joy

Something is going on with Comcast today as I am having intermittent latency issues getting to Web sites, connecting to IM services and pulling down email.

I don’t think it’s a DNS issue as I tried 3rd party DNS servers and the situation hasn’t improved. I’m getting 408s (server timeouts) when attempting to access Web sites. I dunno, it feels like it has something to do with bandwidth.

Take a lookee here…

PING ( 56 data bytes
64 bytes from icmp_seq=0 ttl=47 time=97.994 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=1 ttl=47 time=84.802 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=2 ttl=47 time=80.569 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=3 ttl=47 time=86.192 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=4 ttl=47 time=76.811 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=5 ttl=47 time=76.987 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=6 ttl=47 time=86.273 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=7 ttl=47 time=88.413 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=8 ttl=47 time=87.754 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=9 ttl=47 time=77.124 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=10 ttl=47 time=83.144 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=11 ttl=47 time=94.869 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=12 ttl=47 time=99.985 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=13 ttl=47 time=80.372 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=14 ttl=47 time=93.088 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=15 ttl=47 time=82.616 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=16 ttl=47 time=79.789 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=17 ttl=47 time=80.506 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=18 ttl=47 time=81.784 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=19 ttl=47 time=93.168 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=20 ttl=47 time=97.12 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=21 ttl=47 time=90.595 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=22 ttl=47 time=90.841 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=23 ttl=47 time=78.547 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=24 ttl=47 time=95.618 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=25 ttl=47 time=78.533 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=26 ttl=47 time=79.975 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=27 ttl=47 time=92.663 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=28 ttl=47 time=76.845 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=29 ttl=47 time=79.667 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=30 ttl=47 time=92.518 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=31 ttl=47 time=78.212 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=32 ttl=47 time=77.335 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=33 ttl=47 time=79.327 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=34 ttl=47 time=78.226 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=35 ttl=47 time=79.048 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=36 ttl=47 time=78.725 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=38 ttl=47 time=77.937 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=39 ttl=47 time=77.151 ms

— ping statistics —
40 packets transmitted, 39 packets received, 2% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 76.811/84.387/99.985 ms

I will call tech support tomorrow if the situation doesn’t improve in the meantime. I don’t have the patience to deal with it at this time. Intermittent means at least I can get to sites and services if I can reload.

Update: Apparently, I’m not the only one complaining about this. See the Broadband Reports thread. Also this morning 5/24, I could get to,, etc. but not to cleverhack for the longest time.

Update 2: The issue seems to have been resolved as of the afternoon of 5/24. Also, interestingly enough, my longstanding IP address happened to change too.
[tags]Comcast, routing, broadband, ISP [/tags]

One Response to “Comcast”

  1. Brian Reincke Says:

    I have been having difficulty with the same problem with Comcast for over a month. I had their service out to our home and we were told it was our computer. A family member whose livelihood in the computer industry told us this was not so. We are fortunate that Ft. Wayne is a test market for Verizon’s new fiberoptic line. The difference is incredible, and it is cheaper. The service and support from Comcast was so poor we also changed our cable service away from them. I am on a quest to tell as many people as possible so that they either change their ways or go out of business. They have to realize they are no longer a monopoly in our area. By the way, they charge 17.99 to cancel their cable service.

Leave a Reply